- Myth: I can’t donate if I have tattoos.
- Myth: I can’t donate if I got a piercing recently.
- Myth: I can’t donate if I’ve just been to the dentist.
- Myth: Blood can be manufactured.
- Myth: Blood donation is painful.
- Myth: Blood is only needed in times of emergency.
- Myth: Donating blood causes my body to start over producing blood cells.
- Myth: Donating blood makes you gain weight.
- Myth: Donating blood takes a long time.
- Myth: Donating blood will impact my ability to do my daily activities.
- Myth: Giving blood will harm me by taking away red cells or platelets that my body needs to function.
- Myth: I can catch an infectious disease by donating blood.
- Myth: I have a common blood type, so you don’t need my blood.
- Myth: Donating blood can harm my immune system.
- Myth: Other people are already giving enough blood.
- Myth: Vegetarians or vegans cannot donate blood.
- Who can give blood?
- Where does my blood go?
- Which patients use what blood components?
- What types of photo ID are accepted?
- What tests are performed on blood?
- What is vCJD?
- What happens when somebody tests positive for an infectious disease marker?
- What can I eat to raise my hemoglobin levels?
- Is it safe to receive blood transfusions?
- I don’t have sickle cell anemia, but I carry the trait. Can I still give blood?
- How will I feel after I give blood?
- How often can I give blood?
- How much blood is taken?
- How long does it take?
- Can I give blood for myself?
- When was Carter BloodCare founded?
- Can people with high blood pressure donate blood?
- Can people who have tested positive for HIV or AIDS donate blood?
- Can gay or bi-sexual men donate blood?
Are you eligible to donate blood?
In addition to being in good health, donors must be 16 years of age or older, weigh at least 110 lbs., and feel well the day of their donation. Sixteen-year olds must have a signed parental consent form.
Please read about the following donor health conditions to determine if you’re eligible.
Most health conditions are acceptable for donation with the following exceptions: