If you were to go into the hospital tomorrow and the doctor said you needed a blood transfusion, what would your first thought be? Will this be painful? How much will this cost? When can I go back to work? I bet the thought of blood availability didn’t cross your mind. At Carter BloodCare it is our job to encourage blood donations to keep supplies high, so you don’t have to worry when you need a last minute blood transfusion. But, we always need your help! According to America’s Blood Centers, only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood – less than ten percent do annually. We are working to raise this number, but here are a few among many reasons why YOU should donate blood:
- A free mini-physical is given at the time of donation, which includes a screening of blood pressure, pulse, and temperature and iron levels.
- You get free snacks after your blood donation! What American does not LOVE Oreos?
- The actual drawing of blood only takes ten minutes. That’s a record for saving three lives!
- Show off your arm wrap to all of your friends and family! Proudly tell them you saved three lives.
- A family member, friend or community member may be in need of blood one day.
- 14 tests are performed on each unit of blood donated.
- Blood donors can also check their cholesterol level within days following donation.
- There is no substitute for human blood.
- You could donate 46.5 gallons if you began at 17 and donate every 56 days until you reach 79 years old!
- Three gallons of blood is used every minute in the United States.
- One in three people will need blood at some point in their lives.
- One in seven patients admitted into a hospital will need a blood transfusion.
- Every 90 seconds someone in the Carter BloodCare service area needs blood.
- Carter BloodCare needs to see 1,100 donors a day to meet the need of patients in community hospitals.
Feeling empowered to schedule a blood donation? Schedule an appointment on our website, or give us a call at 1-800-366-2834. Thanks for being a part of something great!
What are some reasons you choose to give blood? Tell us below!