This February, we’re giving the heart the credit it deserves for everything it does for our bodies! Every minute, your heart pumps an average of five quarts of blood through your body. That’s about 2,000 gallons of blood every day! If that’s not amazing enough, here are even more interesting facts about the heart:
1. An adult’s heart is approximately the size of two hands clasped together.
2. A healthy heart beats about 70 times per minute.
3. Eating dark chocolate reduces your risk of heart disease by one third.
4. Your left lung is smaller than your right to make room for your heart.
5. A woman’s average heartbeat is faster than a man’s by about eight beats per minute.
6. Every day, the heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles.
7. The layers of cells and protein that make up the cornea do not receive blood from the heart.
8. On average, your heart beats 100,000 times a day.
9. People can perform CPR to the beat of “Stayin’ Alive” (or any other song with 100 to 120 beats a minute).
10. During your lifetime, your heart pumps nearly five billion barrels of blood.
Since everyone needs blood pumping through their hearts to stay alive, we hope you’ll find it in your heart to make a blood donation this February. And if you’re interested in more heart facts, follow us on social media!
Happy National Heart Month from Carter BloodCare!
Source: American Heart Association