Your safety is our priority.
Update as of August 11, 2021: Carter BloodCare staff and unvaccinated donors are required to wear facial coverings at blood drives or donation centers, except when temperature is taken during screening, or when eating and drinking after the donation. Vaccinated donors are also strongly encouraged to wear masks.
Carter BloodCare will comply with required mask mandates, as applicable.
As the pandemic environment evolves, the safety of our blood donors and staff remains a priority. We are making decisions based on national guidelines from our industry as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Individuals who receive the COVID-19 vaccine are invited to donate blood; however, there will be additional FDA requirements to donate COVID-19 convalescent plasma. Appointments for donating convalescent plasma can only be made by calling 817-412-5830.
COVID-19 Antibody Testing
Effective August 31, 2021, Carter BloodCare will perform COVID-19 antibody testing on all successful donations during the most prolonged period of a critical blood shortage in recent history. The testing will also help identify individuals with the greatest opportunity to donate COVID-19 convalescent plasma to help currently ill COVID-19 patients heal.
How you can help:
- If you are not feeling healthy and well, please reschedule your appointment to donate blood.
- Carter BloodCare will not ask donors for proof of vaccination. We are operating under the honor system for the sake of your health and the health of those around you.
- Drink plenty of water before and after donating to ensure you are well hydrated; and eat a good, healthy meal at least two hours before your donation.
- Make and keep your appointment. This helps to manage wait times.
- Remember to bring your government-issued picture ID.
- Before you arrive on the day of your appointment, fill out your donor questionnaire on your own mobile device/desktop with QuickScreen. This also helps manage overcrowding.
- Please do not bring children and/or pets to blood drives or donor centers, as they are not allowed into the donation area.
Your donation means the world to the patients and their loved ones. Make your appointment online or call/text 800-366-2834.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
A: Yes, Carter BloodCare welcomes individuals who are vaccinated for COVID-19 and unvaccinated for the virus. You can make an appointment by calling or texting 800-366-2834 or schedule your appointment online.
Q: If I receive the COVID-19 vaccine, will that affect my antibody test results after I donate blood?
A: The initial antibody screening test that Carter BloodCare uses is unlikely to be positive after a donor receives a COVID-19 vaccine.
The antibodies that are generated after a vaccine are not detected by the antibody screening test that Carter BloodCare uses for donations. Every test detects a certain part of the virus. Your lack of a positive antibody test result means our test doesn’t detect the response to the vaccine; but it does not reflect on the effectiveness of the vaccine.
A: When donors indicate their COVID-19 vaccination status in their Donor History Questionnaire, the information is applied to our system only for use in identifying individuals with the greatest opportunity to donate COVID-19 convalescent plasma. The information doesn’t go anywhere else.