Did you know that only 4% of our donors are routine platelet donors (like our good friend Charlie)? If you’re part of this small but powerful group, we’d like to say “thanks” for the huge impact you make on our community. We’d also like to suggest that you talk with your friends and family about giving platelets. If you’ve never given (or heard of) platelets, here are a few facts. Sometimes a little information goes a long way!
- Platelets are used in treating cancer and other blood disorders, like aplastic anemia.
- A platelet donation is automated, which means you can give up to three platelet transfusion is one donation. (It takes six whole blood donors to produce just one unit of platelets.)
- A unit of platelets lasts only five days.
- Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are ideal days to give platelets – if possible.
- The process may take up to two hours, so plan accordingly.
- You can give platelets as often as every two weeks at any Donor Center.
- Men who are A+, B+, AB+or AB-make great platelet donors.
If you’re part of the 4% – talk to your friends and family about giving platelets. And if you’ve never given but are interested, talk with your phlebotomist! And on behalf of the many patients whose lives you have touched – thanks for the lifesaving platelets!