Below is additional information in regards to the Carter Bloodcare specialty laboratory services. Our specialty laboratory experts and services are dedicated to provide you with the life-saving products that your special patients’ needs require.
Flow Cytometry services at Carter BloodCare offer:
- Residual WBC determination for leukocyte-reduced product quality control for both red cell and platelet components (internal and external).
- Fetal Hemoglobin F (Hgb F) determination in maternal antepartum (pregnancy complications or trauma) and postpartum specimens for assessment of fetal bleed and Rh Immunoglobulin (RHIG/Rhogam) dosage determination.
- CD34/CD3 enumeration for patient monitoring and stem cell product analysis for peripheral blood stem cells and bone marrow
- Consultation services with an experienced Flow Cytometry Specialist and on-call Medical Directors 24/7.
- Assistance in clinical trials and research projects.
Platelet matching services are available to help ensure optimal responses to platelet transfusions in sensitized patients. These services are offered nationwide and include:
- HLA matching for donors and recipients
- Extensive HLA typed donor database
- Extensive HPA-1a antigen negative donor database
- o Platelet crossmatching (Capture – P solid phase technology)
- Platelet antibody screening (PakPlus ELISA technology)
- o Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia studies
- Consultation services with an experienced Platelet & HLA Specialist and on-call Medical Directors 24/7
- Assistance in research projects
Molecular RBC Genotyping Laboratory
The AABB Accredited Molecular Laboratory at Carter BloodCare performs genotyping for the following red cell antigens:
- RH System (C, c, E, e, hrS, hrB, CW , V, VS)
- Kell System (K, k, Kpa, Kpb, Jsa, Jsb)
- Kidd System (Jka, Jkb, Jk null)
- o Duffy System (Fya, Fyb, Fyx, FY*B_GATA)
- MNS System (M, N, S, s, U, Mia, GYPB*deletion, GYPB*Mur)
- Diego (Dia, Dib)
- Dombrock (Doa, Dob, Hy, Joa)
- Colton (Coa, Cob)
- Lutheran (Lua, Lub)
- Cartwright (Yta, Ytb)
- Molecular testing is also performed on platelets for HPA-1a/b & HLA class I typing.
Blood group genotyping provides an accurate genotype and predicted phenotype for patients when serology is limited due to recent transfusion, multiple transfusions, or patient red cells coated with immunoglobulins. Genotyping provides an alternate method for blood typing when antisera is not available and provides a phenotypically matched red cell product.
We have been screening selected donor samples for rare genotypes with molecular techniques since 2008 in order to find red cell matches for difficult-to-transfuse patients, and we now have a database of over 7500 results.
Calibration and Maintenance Services
Below is additional information in regards to the miscellaneous calibration and maintenance services currently offered or soon to be offered to better meet our client’s needs. These services are offered nationwide.
Pipette Calibration Services
Pipetting is often one of the most overlooked sources of error in the laboratory and is critical in order to ensure the correct results are obtained. Our laboratory offers pipette calibration and maintenance services performed by certified technicians, with a two-business –day turnaround time from receipt. The calibration services package includes:
- Calibration by dual wavelength colorimetric or gravimetric analysis (depending on the volume)
- Interior and exterior inspection, cleaning and lubrication
- Seal replacement and minor repairs as necessary
- Appropriate documentation of acceptable calibration and next time calibration is required.
Future Calibration & Maintenance Services
- Digital Timer QC
- Standardization of Thermometers
- Battery Replacement
- Cleaning and minor repairs, as necessary.
Contact the R&T Department for further details and timeline on offering these additional services.
The Histocompatibility (HLA) Laboratory was established in 1987 to provide services in support of the local kidney transplant program. The HLA lab is accredited by the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI).
The HLA lab tests for HLA Class I and Class II typing by molecular methods, lymphocyte crossmatching by flow Cytometry, HLA Class I and Class II antibody testing by microbead array, and HLA Class I typing of platelet donors to support special transfusion needs.